Beginner’s guide to online poker game Texas Hold’em
The game of online poker is one of the most loved games at the moment and has been gaining momentum since 2003 as poker contests made it onto TV and poker rooms began to pop up online. Poker today is everywhere.
The game of online poker has one big advantage over most other casino games: Your skill can help you win here. When you are playing poker you are not playing against the online casino, but other players. Read on to learn more.
The basics of online poker game Texas Hold’em
The main objective of this game is to try to beat the other players and to ultimately win their money. The casino makes its money by taking a small percentage of the bet from the players’ bet.
When it comes to most online casino games, the game commences by placing a bet, then you receive the cards and it’s over. On the other hand, in Texas Holdem, you receive the cards, place your bet, receive more cards, wager once again if you wish and then repeat the process a few more times.
You have the opportunity to call it quits at any point by a process calling folding. This saves you from throwing in more money when you want out. You forfeit any money you have already wagered.
If all the players at the table fold, the last person standing wins the pot. If there is more than one player in the game, the player with the best poker hand wins.
Poker Hand Rankings in Texas Hold’em
A poker hand is made up of five cards. Here are how the hands are ranked starting from the worst and ending with the best:
- High Card: If no other player has a hand from the other hands in this list, the highest card wins. The highest cards can be from the lowest to the highest starting from Jack, Queen, King and Ace. For example, a hand that is made up of a King, 8, 4, 3 and 2 beats the hand made up of Queen, 8, 4, 5 and 2, since the King always beats the Queen. If two players have the same high cards then then second highest card wins.
- A Pair: A Pair is a hand that is made up of two cards of the same rank, such as 8, 8, 4, 3. A pair beats a high card even if the pair in question is lower than the rank in the high card. So if you have a pair of twos, they will still beat a high card.
- Two Pair: A two pair is a hand that is made up of two pairs of the same number, such as 5, 5, 7, 7, K.
- Three of a Kind: Same as above but three cards of the same rank.
- Straight: A Straight is a hand that is made up of consecutive ranks, such as 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. An Ace in this game is counted as 1 when needed to complete a straight.
- Flush: A Flush is a hand made up of cards of the same suit, such as 6, 8, 10, 2 and 4 of diamonds.
- Full House: A Full House is a hand made up of a pair and three of a kind.
- Four of a Kind: Its a hand that is made up of four cards of the same rank.
- Straight Flush: A hand that is both a straight as well as a Flush such as 8, 9, 10, J, Q of diamonds.
- Royal Flush: A Royal Flush is a Straight Flush that is made up of the highest possible cards such as 10, J, Q, K and Ace. They don’t have to be in order for them to be considered a Royal Flush.
How to play online poker game Texas Hold’em
Here’s how the game works in short:
1) Two players post Blinds: Two players each have to make a small bet before any cards are dealt out so as to make sure that there is something for everyone to play for if the rest of the players decide they dont want to place bets after that.
2) The Deal: Each player at the table receives two cards face-down. These cards are known as the hole cards. Players must then either place bets to stay in the game or fold.
3) The Flop: Three community cards are then placed face up in the centre of the poker table. Every player at the table can use any or all of these cards together with their hole cards with the aim of creating the best five-card hand. Players must then bet again, or else fold.
4) The Turn: Another community card is dealt out followed by more betting.
5) The River: The final community card is dealt out followed by more betting.
6) The Showdown: Whoever is still left in the game must show their cards so the winner can be determined and wins the pot.
Types of poker bets in Texas Hold’em
Once you have placed a bet, all other players at the table must match your bet to stay in the game. So, if you place a €10 bet, all the other players must match this or more to continue playing. They also have the option to fold but of course, that would mean they would lose all the money they have already invested in this round.
During a round, the amount of bets keeps on growing and growing and each poker player in the game must decide whether his/her hand is strong enough to snatch the pot if they keep placing more bets.
When it is your time to bet, you have the following options to make:
- Fold: To quit the game
- Bet: Place a bet and continue playing
- Check: Neither folding not betting but a Pass
- Call: To match the current bet
- Raise: To exceed the current bet
Want to learn more about online poker? Read more strategies and tips and when you are ready to play with real money, check out our top casino bonus offers by our trusted online casinos.