What does John have to say?
- Power Ups
- Free spins
- Cluster pays
- Tumbling reels
- No jackpot
Golden Glyph review
We’ve definitely seen a whole bunch of ancient Egypt-themed online slots launched over the past year or two, so when we heard Quickspin were coming out with another, we barely raised an eyebrow. But upon second look at this stunning slot, it’s not at all like the “Book of…” range and instead is an eye-catching and high quality slot in its own right. A host of fun features and gorgeous gameplay gives this slot our vote – read on to find out what we enjoyed about it.
- Release date: 12 November 2019
- Game: Golden Glyph
- Game info: Seven reels, seven rows, cluster pays
- Bet levels: £0.20-£100
- Maximum win: 13,000x
- Special features: Power Wilds, free spins, Power Up feature, Tumble mechanism
- Jackpot: No
- Return to player: 96.19%
- Volatility: Medium
Golden Glyph bonus features
Before we get into the features, one of the most notable aspects of Golden Glyph is the cluster pays mechanism. Instead of your regular paylines, you’ll be awarded for wins whenever matching symbols appear in the form of a cluster. This adds an interesting element to the game, which is supported by the many different available features.
Tumbling reels, cascading reels… whatever you want to call them, we’re big fans of them. With each cluster win you find, you’ll see the winning symbols disappear to allow for more symbols to drop into places in the hopes you’ll achieve another win. This can keep happening as long as you keep winning, and is a great way to score more prizes without placing another bet.
The Power Wild symbol can appear during both the base game and free spins round to help complete your winning clusters. You’ll only ever see one Power Wild per tumble, but if it does form part of a winning cluster, it will trigger one of the Power Up modifiers, which we’ll go into next.
Power Up modifiers
There are different Power Up modifiers which can be triggered, and these are presented in a golden wheel to the left of the reels. Whenever a Power Wild completes a cluster pay, the wheel will click over by one and you’ll activate the next Power Up in the sequence. These are as follows:
- Golden Scarab Power Up: Four to 10 wilds will appear at random
- Eye of Horus Power Up: A low paying symbol will be selected, and all instances of it will be removed from the grid so the reels can respin. You’ll receive 1/20th of your stake for every symbol removed, plus if the respin triggers a cluster win, you’ll also be awarded this</li
- Blaze of Fire Power Up: Similar to Eye of Horus, this feature will appear in a random position to blast away all base game symbols horizontal and vertical to it. You’ll then receive a respin, and 1/20th of your stake for every symbol removed
- Free Spins Bonus Power Up: The best of the Power Ups, this will award nine free spins
Once the golden wheel has ticked over to free spins and you’ve activated it by finding a Power Wild in your cluster pay, you’ll be awarded nine free spins. The Power Ups are still in play here, so if you manage to hit the free spins Power Up again, you’ll be awarded an additional three free spins each time.
The most exciting thing about the free spins round is the Golden Glyph wild, which appears in a random spot on the reels during the first spin. This acts as not only a wild, but a progressive multiplier that grows with each winning cluster it helps to complete. The Golden Glyph wild will also move to a new location with each spin, and can award a maximum multiplier of 99x your prize.
Golden Glyph jackpot
Though there isn’t a jackpot in Golden Glyph, there is the potential to score prizes of up to 13,000x your stake, so we weren’t too disappointed.
RTP and volatility
Golden Glyph on mobile
Widely available across most mobile, desktop and tablet devices, Golden Glyph is easily accessible to play as you prefer.