The Rift is Thunderkick’s 5-reel by 3-row slot with 17 pay lines that feels like something right out of a Dr. Who episode with its dark mystery and allure. The special features – the Rift Spin and the Bonus Free Spins Round are as fun to watch as they are attractive to play. They allow you to make some big wins while continuing to unlock more spins and sticky wilds.
- Game Provider:
- RTP: 96.3%
- FREE SPINS: yes
- VOLATILITY: medium-high
The best casino to play The Rift
The Rift Free Spins
The first take on the free spin concept in The Rift is called ‘Rift Spin. Land 2 bonus symbols anywhere on the reels, and this will give you an extra spin including 1 to 3 sticky wilds. A little play of special effects will reveal a circle called ‘The Rift Seal’ in the middle of the screen, displaying how many sticky wilds will appear on the screen during the Rift Spin. Also, if during the spin that unlocked the Rift Spin any wilds appear on the reels, these will be locked into place also becoming sticky wilds. So, for example:
- Spin reels to get 2 bonus symbols + 1 Wild
- 1 Wild locks into place as a sticky wild
- Magic circle reveals another 2 sticky wilds
- 1 Rift Spin with 3 sticky wilds in place will play automatically
Moving onto the Bonus Game, 3 bonus symbols will unlock this mini game consisting of a minimum of 10 free spins. More bonus symbols give you more free spins.
- 3 bonus symbols – 10 free spins
- 4 bonus symbols – 15 free spins
- 5 bonus symbols – 20 free spins
During the Bonus Game, any wilds that appear on the reels will become sticky wilds and stay there for the rest of the round or until they form part of a winning pay line. The Rift Seal will also appear here. Each bonus symbol that appears will add 1 step in the Seal. Every 3 steps taken on the Seal will grant 2 additional free spins and 1 more sticky wild.
- 1 bonus symbol (during Bonus Game) – 1 step on Rift Seal
- 3 steps – 2 additional free spins + 1 sticky wild
The Rift Slot
The Rift is Thunderkick’s slot oozing mystery and intrigue. It starts you off with a little background story about a rift suddenly opening late at night in the city. The whole theme seems strongly inspired by the Dr. Who franchise, and it certainly is alluring enough to live up to its source of influence. The effects, sounds and gameplay style combine to form a fun and intriguing game. The 5 reels x 3 rows are set atop a glowing purple light emanating from a rift in the ground. In the background, a fog envelopes the city, and some of the symbols are coated in a shimmering fiery aura. Other effects such as the wilds that are wrapped with chains when they become sticky wilds, and the screen bathed in lighting effects revealing the Rift Seal all add to more to the mystery and intrigue of this game. The Rift is yet more proof to why Thunderkick never does anything in half measures.
The Rift is not all sugar coating and no substance though. Sticky Wilds and Bonus Game symbols are used to unlock some very interesting special features that are correlated as one leads into the other progressively.
Symbols and Features
The Rift is a 5-reel by 3-row slot with 17 pay lines and 2 interconnected special features. You can change the bet level per coin from 0.10 to 100.00, and auto spins from 5 to 5000.
The 2 highest paying symbols are the Golden Book and the Wild Symbol. Landing 5 of these along a pay line wins you 30 coins.
Wilds substitute for all other symbols except for bonus ones. They become sticky wilds in both the Rift Spin and the Bonus Free Spins Game.
Bonus symbols are needed to unlock both special features. 2 of these will unlock a Rift Spin, while 3 or more the Free Spins Bonus Game.
Let’s look at the special features once more:
- Rift Spin – 2 bonus symbols unlock a Rift Spin. The Rift Seal appears in the middle of the screen telling you how many sticky wilds you will received during the Rift Spin. You can get anywhere between 1 and 3 sticky wilds. Also, any wilds appearing during the spin that triggered the Rift Spin will be carried over to the latter, also becoming sticky wilds.
- Free Spins Round – 3 bonus symbols unlock 10 free spins; 4 unlock 15; and 5 unlock 20. Similar to the Rift Spin, all wilds will become sticky wilds. And they will remain on the reels until the bonus round is over or until the form part of a winning combination. Also, the Rift Seal will appear in the middle of the screen. Any bonus symbols appearing during the free spins will add steps in the Rift Seal. 1 symbol is equivalent to 1 step. 3 symbols add another 2 free spins + 1 sticky wild.
The Rift Jackpot
The Rift does not feature a jackpot in the traditional sense of the word. However, you can gain some potentially big wins with up to 3000 coins per win. This converts into cash depending on the bet level per coin you can set manually at any point during the game.
The Rift on Mobile
The Rift is fully convertible to handheld devices using any of the major operating systems including iOS, Android, and Windows and the universally recognised browers Chrome, Explorer, and Firefox.
The Rift RTP
The Rift’s RTP is set at 96.3%.