Learn everything you need to know about:
- Rating UK casinos
- Finding UK casinos
- Top UK casinos 2020
- Best UK offers
- Favourite games
- UK casino news
- Did you know?
The first thing to know about our casino rankings is that we only bring you the best UK casino sites out there. We put all casinos through our rigorous tests before reviewing only the best online gambling sites UK, so you can rest assured that you’re playing with trusted and safe casinos.
To help you find the best online casino UK for you, here are some of the criteria we compare all sites to:
- Valid UK licence: We only list UK online casinos that hold a licence from the UK Gambling Commision. This ensures that all of your personal and banking information is kept confidential, and that you’re playing at the best casinos in the UK that stick to the rules.
- Wide game selection: All of our listed UK casinos offer massive portfolios of games from top providers, giving you plenty of high quality games to choose from.
- Customer support: Our casino review team always checks the customer support service to ensure it’s efficient, fast and reliable.
- Fast deposits and withdrawals: We also check that UK casinos listed on JohnSlots offer a great selection of speedy and reliable payment options.
- Generous welcome offers: We’re always on the lookout for the best UK welcome offers to make sure our readers get the best start possible to their casino experience.
If you’re playing at a UK casino that is licenced by the UK Gambling Commission, you can be sure that it’s safe to play at. At JohnSlots, we only list UK casinos that hold this licence, so as long as you’re playing at a JohnSlots-recommended casino, you know it’s safe. Let’s have a look at the UK licence in more detail and how it protects UK players.
UK Gambling Commission
The UK Gambling Commission has been around since 2007… though when it comes to online casinos, no one really gave it much thought until late 2014. Basically, the UKGC is the regulatory division of the UK government that oversees all gambling activity of UK players. They’re not just setting rules and taking taxes – they’re in place to protect people from the possible dangers of gambling like addiction, underage gambling and money laundering.
Although UK casinos have had to make many changes to their process since the introduction of the UKGC, it’s all for the better. They promote responsible gambling in a safe environment and ensure you’re never playing outside of your means. Here’s how things have changed over time:
Timeline of the UKGC
- 7 September 2007: The UK Gambling Commission is formed as part of the Gambling Act 2005
- 1 October 2011: The National Lottery Commission becomes part of the Gambling Commission
- 1 October 2014: New regulations mean that offshore online casino operators wanting to accept UK players must obtain a UK licence from the UKGC
- 31 March 2015: Another new rule is brought in to enforce UK-licenced online casino operator to only offer games from UK-licenced game developers
- 29 June 2017: The UKGC cracks down on problem gambling and now requires online casinos to provide players with tools to monitor their wagering activity
- 31 October 2018: The UKGC sets new standards for dealing with customer complaints
- 7 May 2019: Online casino operators are now required to complete KYC (Know Your Customer) checks before allowing their players to gamble
To hold a UK licence means that the casino has gone through strict tests and processes set by the UK Gambling Commission, and that the UKGC have verified their legitimacy as an online casino.
It’s not a simple process, and to obtain the licence an online casino operator needs to prove that they promote responsible gambling and don’t allow players to wager more than their means; that they don’t accept underage gamblers; and many other important factors. This is why a UK-licensed casino is considered to be so safe and trustworthy, and not just any casino is granted a UK licence.
Once obtained, the UK licence is not guaranteed for life, and online casinos that fail to follow to follow the regulator’s rules are at high risk for losing their licence. Hefty fines on profits made from players can also apply, along with stricter punishments for negligence.
If you find a casino that allows UK players but doesn’t hold a UK licence, it could mean one of two things: they either had a licence but lost it, or they never qualified for one in the first place. You should avoid playing at non-licenced casinos at all costs, since the Gambling Commission can not verify their safety.
Recent online casino regulation in the UK
With the possibility of Brexit on the horizon, it’s hard to say what will happen to gambling in the UK. Some people say since the UK already operates separately to the rest of the EU, the impact will be minimal… but some experts suggest that UK regulations could become even stricter.
The one thing we can all agree on is that the UK licence will continue to exist and serve its players. Perhaps companies will no longer be able to operate from offshore countries, but only time will tell. We can, however, tell you with absolute certainty that we’ll always keep you updated, and continue to only bring you casinos that are 100% safe to play at.
We’ve always got loads of top UK online casinos to choose from, each of them offering different benefits. It’s really up to you and what you consider to be a top priority, so here’s a look at some of the different lists we have to help you choose.
- New casino sites UK: If you’re after something fresh and fun, have a look at our list of new UK casino sites for the latest casino experiences
- Live casino UK: Players who love a more authentic casino experience will enjoy choosing from our list of operators offering a wide selection of live casino games
- Mobile casino UK: Most UK online casinos now offer a quality mobile version, but if you’re looking for the best mobile casinos in the UK, check out our list of superior mobile casinos
- No deposit casino UK: Many UK online casinos offer no deposit bonuses to get you started, and we’ve listed them all on our no deposit bonus page
We’ve got plenty of great UK casinos that we highly recommend… but at JohnSlots we also always have our own favourites. Here are our top UK online casinos to try in 2020, along with what makes them stand out from the crowd.
|Betfair||Betfair has long been one of the top UK casinos and they’re one of the most trusted gambling sites in the UK. Though once focusing on sports betting, Betfair now provides a superior casino platform with regular promotions, a generous welcome offer and a fantastic mobile version.|
|Karamba||Recently revamping their site with a whole new look, Karamba makes the top 10 list for its exclusive promotions, which are a great way to keep new and old players entertained. They also offer 24/7 customer support, which is a fantastic benefit.|
|LeoVegas||The self-proclaimed King of Mobile Casino, LeoVegas truly does offer a superior mobile casino experience. Their selection of games is also off the charts, with plenty of exclusive games to try, and their regular promotions are always worth checking out.|
|Kassu||Kassu Casino is a fairly new casino but they’ve made it to our list for their huge range of niche and popular slots, and fun and relevant promotions.|
|RedBet||Another fantastic mobile site, RedBet offers plenty of gaming products, conveniently all in one place, along with fast payment processes and customer support|
|JackpotJoy||If you’re looking for unique promotions and exclusive games, JackpotJoy is the place to go to! These guys pride themselves on standing out from the crowd, and definitely offer a different kind of experience|
|888 Casino||With loads of exclusive games to play, there are plenty of reasons to try 888 Casino. They also have a fantastic mobile platform that allows you to play a range of gaming products|
|Dunder||This is kind of your no-frills casino: they don’t offer many promotions, but they do offer simplicity and high quality thrills. We love how Dunder has organised their game categories, and their extremely no-fuss platform|
We’re always on the lookout for the best UK casino offers, so you can find them easily, all in one place. Here are some of the best offers exclusive to the UK to keep your eyes peeled for:
- Free spins: This is a great offer to receive, either as a new player or an existing one. Free spins give you free chances to win, but without the wagering requirements, so you’ll often get to keep any wins incurred from the spins.
- Bonus spins: Kind of similar to free spins, bonus spins give you ‘free’ chances to win on a slot – but any wins will need to be wagered to satisfy requirements before you can make a withdrawal. We’ll always tell you the terms and conditions for these offers, so you can make sure you’re playing with the lowest wagering requirements at a casino UK
- Promos: The fun doesn’t stop once you’ve taken your welcome offer, and many UK casinos offer regular promotions for existing players to keep them coming back. At JohnSlots we do a weekly round up of the top UK promos for the week, so you can find them all in one place.
When playing with UK casino offers, make sure to always read the terms and conditions to check you’re getting the best offer possible. Many promotions and offers will have wagering requirements tied to them, which is totally standard but also super important.
Due to UK regulations, only games from UK licensed gaming developers can be offered to UK players. The good news is that most gaming developers do hold UK licences, and the selection of slots and other casino games for the UK market is constantly growing.
At JohnSlots, we bring you all the latest information and unbiased game reviews for the following:
- Slots: Our team of casino experts review new online slots as they launch to give you everything you need to know about a slot before you play, and whether or not it’s worth your time.
- Casino games: Besides slots, UK players can also enjoy a wide range of everything from roulette to blackjack, poker and more. We also provide updated reviews and information of these casino games, all conveniently listed on one page.
The UK is one of the markets that is changing the most, and that’s why we’ve got a dedicated team at JohnSlots to keep you on top of absolutely everything. From industry news like changes in regulations, to new online casino sites UK, to fun new promotions and more, you’ll find everything you need to know, right here.
Think of JohnSlots like your go-to guide for all things UK casino. We’ll bring you all you need to know to make sure you get the best UK online casino experience at all times.
Along with bringing you news, new UK casinos and new games, the JohnSlots team is also here to answer any and all of your UK casino-related questions. Here’s a look at the most frequently asked questions and their answers.
Can I play in casinos without a UK gambling licence?
You might be able to, but we really recommend that you don’t. You won’t find non-licensed casinos here at JohnSlots anyway, but if you happened to find one online it’s highly likely that it will be shut down soon. It’s also not safe or legal to play at a casino without a UK gambling licence since their legitimacy hasn’t been verified.
Are my online casino winnings in the UK tax-free?
For now, all your online casino winnings in the UK are indeed tax-free. Happy days!
Is it legal to play in online casinos in the UK?
As long as the online casino operator holds UK licence, it is 100% legal to play, provided you’re 18 years or older.
Are there any exclusive offers for UK casino players?
Absolutely, and often UK casino players are given a different offer from the rest of Europe. Make sure to check out the offers above to see what’s currently on offer.
Can I trust the payout percentages at a UK casino?
As part of the regulation, UK casinos must be upfront about their payout percentages across all games. So yes, you can trust the payout percentages.
What is the KYC check?
KYC (Know Your Customer) is a process that UK casinos must complete before you can begin playing. It involves checking you are who you say you are, along with where you’ve received your money from. It may seem a bit boring to do, but it’s extremely important in preventing anti-money laundering and problem gambling.
What documents do UK casinos request?
This can vary from casino to casino, but generally, UK casinos will ask for identifying documents such as a copy of your passport, bank card and utility bills with your name and address on them. To prove your source of funds, you may also need to provide bank statements, invoices or similar documents.