A great proportion of game developers like to stick to the tried-and-tested way of doing things. Viking Runecraft, by Play N Go, is proof that thinking outside the box can pay off too! This game bucks almost every slot design trend we could think of and is all the better for it.
This huge grid, 7 symbols by 7, is packed with opportunities to win and it draws upon one of the most recognisable sources of inspiration – Norse mythology. Maybe it’s because a lot of casino game developers are from or have ties to the Scandinavian region but plenty of casinos and online casino games are influenced by the residents of Valhalla.
- 7 reels, 7 rows, clusters pay
- Default bet levels 1-10
- Bet minimum of £0.10; maximum bet £10
- Maximum win of 500,000 coins
- Special features include Cascading Reels, Wilds, Charge of Destruction feature, Ragnarok free spins feature, Gift of the Gods feature, Runes of Valhalla feature
- Return to Player of 96.7%
- Volatility is medium-high
Viking Runescape, launched in 2017, doesn’t just focus on the Norse gods though. It is very atmospheric, recreating the vibrant scenery of the north, with ominous mountains and a looming thunderstorm. Rendered in full 3D glory, amulets and runes stand in for the symbols on the reels.
There is very little fault to find in this game. Play N Go have brought their high design and technical standards to bear on this title and it feels dynamic, exciting and well rounded. The accompanying sound effects and short animations add to the experience and show off the excellent work of the Play N Go creative and technical teams.
Keep an eye out for appearances by the gods and goddesses of ancient myth – they trigger win-boosting features on Viking Runecraft!
Viking Runecraft bonus features
Visually striking, Viking Runecraft offers a whole lot more than just its good looks. An ice-capped mountain looms in the background and Norse warrior stands guard to the right of the reels.
We say reels but that’s not really accurate. The Viking Runecraft symbols do not spin but rather drop down from the top of the screen, stacking on top of one another in the process. This is because the game uses a cascading engine, where winning combinations are formed when connected clusters appear, horizontally or vertically.
When a winning combination is hit, the symbols disappear, making room for more symbols to land from above. Kind of like that cult classic video game Tetris. Every win frees up space for more symbols so new symbols will keep on falling as long as the wins keep coming. Each ‘spin’, therefore, can mean several wins!
The symbols themselves are comprised of Norse-inspired symbols, including low-value runes, a necklace, a hammer, a helmet and an axe.
The Wilds symbols on Viking Runecraft depict four of the Norse deities. These are Thor, Freya, Odin and Heimdall. Each of these appears on the reels in different patterns and bring their own godly powers to the table.
Charge of Destruction feature
Just to the left of the symbol grid, you will notice a meter. This keeps track of wins, each one bringing the player closer to unlocking the Charge of Destruction bonus feature. Once the metre is full, the player is rewarded with one of four different bonuses, as follows:
- Fury of Fenrir: 4 diagonal lines of symbols are selected and two lines will disappear while the other two will be transformed into the same symbol.
- Lure of Loki: 2 symbols are chosen at random. One of them will be transformed into another symbol while all instances of the other will disappear.
- Judgement of Jörmungand: An unbroken path is drawn across the grid and the symbols on that path disappear. The symbols that replace them will be transformed into the same randomly selected symbol.
- Scorching of Surtr: Three selected symbols are ignited and the fire spreads to a random number of nearby symbols, destroying them. A set of new symbols appears instead of the burning cluster.
Viking Runecraft Free Spins
The Ragnarok free spins feature is triggered when the Charge of Destruction meter is filled up twice in the same round or when twenty more symbols are added to the meter as part of winning combinations.
During Ragnarok, the meter on the left becomes the End of The World Bonus meter. Land enough winning symbols and you will receive a win multiplier. Combine wins with 20 symbols and it’s a x2 multiplier. 40 symbols equals a x3 multiplier; 60 symbols means x5 and 80 symbols will reward with a whopping x15 multiplier.
Once there are no more wins during the Ragnarok feature, one of the Charge of Destruction features are triggered, as listed in the section above. The Ragnarok feature ends when all the Charge of Destruction feature are played out.
Gift of the Gods feature
This random feature is triggered in the base game, creating more Wild symbols to improve the player’s chance of landing a win.
- God of Wisdom: 2 pairs of Wild symbols will appear, with Wilds positioned vertically
- God of Thunder: between 5 and 9 randomly selected symbols are transformed into Wilds
- God of Guarding: 1 Wild will appear on each of the 7 rows of the grid
- God of Beauty: 4 clusters of Wilds will appear in random positions within the central 5×5 area of the grid. Wilds continue to form in clusters of 4 until a win is achieved.
Runes of Valhalla feature
When a winning combination pattern is cleared, this bonus game comes into play. It takes the shape of a bonus wheel, with cash prizes awarded when it lands on a rune symbol. That cash prize increases when winning combinations including each of the five runes are achieved.
Viking Runecraft jackpot
There is no progressive jackpot available on Viking Runecraft. However, the Runes of Valhalla feature, with its prize wheel, could well stand in for one thanks to its cash prize potential.
RTP & volatility
The Return to Player value for Viking Runecraft is 96.7%, an average RTP for many slot games of this type. The medium-to-high volatility reflects the potential wins thanks to the multiplier features of this title.
Viking Runecraft on Mobile
Play N Go has made it a point to ensure that all of its slot games are available across all platforms, including smartphones and tablets. Fans can play Viking Runecraft on any Apple or Android device, as well as their desktop or laptop computers.
What does John have to say?
An unusual game packed with bonus features, Viking Runecarft really pushes the limits of what can be done on a slot game.